What causes diarrhea despite taking Miralax?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had loose bowels for about a month and half. I have Lupus, deletion 5 q anemia and sjogrens syndrom. I take plaquenil for the Lupus and different eye drops for dry eyes and majic mouthwash and pilocarpine HHCL 5 mg for very dry mouth. I took Mira lax for bowels but have discontinued them since the diarrhea. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoid miralax. Avoid wheat related products.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It seems that somehow you have developed malabsorption. You also need to increase total fluid (water) intake and to take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost fluids and salts. Avoid all wheat and related products for a couple of weeks and see if it helps. Also avoid milk products during this period if possible. Discontinue miralax as it could cause diarrhea.

Let me know if I could help further.