What causes diarrhea, blood in stool and lower left-sided abdominal pain?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi for the last couple years every once in a while like 6-7 months I will have a episode of diarrhea and blood in my stool that and pain in my lower left side. I usually only have the diarrhea once but than hard stools with blood on them for the next day or so than in back to normal for another few months. I was always to embarrassed to see a dr now I'm really worried.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy has to be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Diarrhea and blood in stool at your age can be a sign of inflammatory bowels disease (Crohns disease). Especially if you have also some mucus in the stool, lost some weight recently, have allergies, skin changes (like eczema) or joint pains. Blood is usually mixed with the stool.

I suggest you to do not wait with it any longer. Please consult your doctor. Colonoscopy has to be done to rule this issue out.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.