question-icon

What causes dark bruise on my forearm?

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014
Question: I have a dark bruise on my forearm that appeared out of nowhere. At first it was a small bruise but has since grown, it's dark bruising around the outside with a yellowish center and a knot/bump in the middle. What is this?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
It can be a infected hematoma

Detailed Answer:
I have read your case and seen your image and I suspect that it is a collection of blood with infection. It can be there due to a trauma which you may not have noticed.
i would suggest you to meet a skin specialist and seek his opinion .If you would be my patient I would suggest you to take antibiotics and pain killer.
Bruises like these disappear with correct treatment in 2 weeks.
Let me know if you want to ask any further questions.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement