• question-icon

What causes cold hands and feet in an elderly person?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in General Health
Question: I just wrote a fairly long explanation about my cold hands and feet. When I tried to continue the computer said my password didn't match my email. They sent me a note and I changed the password, but they still say it doesn't work! Can I still get any answer you might have written? I also don't know how to indicate I am through writing.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Age related phenomenon , needs supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

i read your question and i understand your concern. Peripheries getting cold is multifactorial in your age. Age of 75, loss of fat pads, reduced peripheral vascular flow ( lower limit of normal as described by your doctor) multiple surgeries, age related joint problems, deranged lipid profile, psychological problems of anxiety and depression, altogether are causing these cold hands. All you can do is keep them warm using protective measures like wearing gloves, keeping the room temperature a bit high, Doing all that could be to keep the hands warm.

COld hands would have been a problem or an emergency if the blood flow the peripheries were insufficient or there was color change which is not in this case. I would say its merely age related hypothermia and needs extra supportive care only.

As far as computer password issues are concerned, i am afraid you need to talk to the concerned people for that as that is not our domain of expertise.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan