What causes clusters of itchy bumps on skin?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I seem to get clusters of itchy bumps on my skin especially if I have a wound , scratch, pimple etc. I do have a habit of picking on blemishes on my skin (im a nervous guy :0)) but these dont go away. The example I attached had been a scratch, now its this itchy raised cluster. I have another few areas that are similar. Any suggestions? Ive been trying moisterizer with 1% cortisone, tried loratadine 10mg so i wouldnt get too sleepy but nothing seems to get it to go away. Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome to healthcaremagic. I am Dr kakkar. I would like to gather more information from you in order to be able to guide you better

Do the rashes disappear on there own after sometime or do they persist? If yes for how long?

Follow-up: What causes clusters of itchy bumps on skin? 42 minutes later
They seem to persist. I have a habit of scratching it as the otc cream i have doesnt help
Much.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lichen planus

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thanks. After reviewing your history and after having a look at the picture, I would keep a possibility of Lichen Planus. Lchen planus presents as itchy, dry, papules and plaques, which are reddish to purplish in color. The itching is intense. They resolve with post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

Cortisone is very mild and won't help at all.

I would suggest a course of an oral steroid e.g prednisolone in a dose of 1 mg/kg/day for 2-4 weeks.

Topically you may use a potent topical steroid e.g either clobetasol or halobetasol, twice daily. These are prescription drugs and I would suggest you to see a dermatologist before trying them.

An OTC oral antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10 mg once daily would provide you symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow-up: What causes clusters of itchy bumps on skin? 8 hours later
I attached one more photo, i even have a line of bumps on the side of my wrist that I dont remember seeing until recently, is this a symptom?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Koebnerization

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

This is known as koebnerization, appearance of lesions in a linear fashion along lines of trauma/the scratches. This is classical of Lichen Planus and this picture further substantiates the diagnosis of lichen planus.

Follow-up: What causes clusters of itchy bumps on skin? 3 minutes later
Thanks doctor - is lichen planus dangerous?

Brief Answer:
Lichen planus

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No, its not dangerous. It is very much curable with proper medications (ref. to my first reply).