What causes clicking noise in shoulder joints?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hello, My right shoulder keep making clicking noise when i move it circle.
I am having right shoulder, upper right back pain/sore and also arm numbness full time.
I had MRI and see neurologist for multiple test they see no trouble,
please advice what else ic an do
i feel weaker and weaker my doctor advice me to take of from jbo for couple weeks...
I do computer for living please help ty
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further investigation required.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

Many joints click painlessly and this can be considered normal and nothing to worry about. If you have a painful click in a joint then this is abnormal and should be investigated. You should see your Dr who can perform a thorough examination of your shoulder joint. Many problems with the shoulder can be diagnosed on physical examination. X-rays of your shoulder and sometimes an ultrasound scan will help with the diagnosis. An MRI scan or an MR arthrogram where XXXXXXX is injected into the shoulder joint can be important tests to have to help make a diagnosis. Weakness can be felt in the shoulder when you have a problem within the joint. It is unusual however to have numbers with a shoulder joint problem and this is more suggestive of nerve compression in your neck or in a location within the arm itself, depending on the site of the numbness. Investigations used to help make a diagnosis of a problem in the neck include an MRI scan of your neck. If the nerves are being compressed in the arm causing the numbness then often a thorough neurological examination of the upper limb can make the diagnosis which can be confirmed on nerve conduction tests. Treatment options depend largely on the diagnosis reached after the additional tests described here.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes