What causes clear vaginal discharge during 37th week of pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 37 weeks pregnant and I had a gush of discharge last week and immediately rushed to my doc for clinical examination. Doctor checked and said it was just a normal discharge and everything is fine and prescribed candid v6 tablets. I am now observing a clear discharge which is not heavy and odourless, it just makes me feel wet.I don't have any pains or contractions. Fetal movements are good. Does it indicate amniotic fluid slow leakage?. I again have a review with my doc on Saturday... Please suggest what do I do
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be normal during pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
A small amount of clear discharge from vagina can be normal at 37 weeks of pregnancy. If there is no need of using a pad this indicates that it is a vaginal discharge and is small in amount. This is not worrisome. In case the discharge is heavy and persistent then leakage of amniotic fluid needs to be ruled out after an examination. You can wait till Saturday for this mild discharge.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T