• question-icon

What causes chest tightness, anxiety and chest discomfort while at work?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i am having some odd symptoms, often presenting like cardiac, however an echo and stress test show that they are completely normal. I had a 24 telemetry test to which I had some PACs and some PVCs, with a few Ventricular runs, up to 8 seconds long. I am 33 otherwise healthy, no caffiene drugs or stimulants. My symptoms seem to be worse when I am work with chest tightness, anxiety or a warm sensation in my chest with a bit of a pressure feeling. I have gone to emergency, since i work at the hospital and nothing seems to show. i questioned if i had a tumor on my adrenals or something that released adrenaline. The symptoms seem to be very random and without any really cause. I do have some aching in the lower chest at times around my diaphram and wonder if there s any issues with my liver or pancrease that wouldd lead to all these symptoms. My bloodwork is normal, i have a healthy lifestyle otherwise and am not stressed or anxious otherwise. Another thng I questioned is am I having a reaction to the amount of computers i am exposed to at work? and or the bad lighting that seems to affect me? Has that ever happened, i feel increassingly worse throughout the day at work and my symptoms seem to get worse wth more PVCs etc as the day goes on. I often request the lights stay off because there seems to be a difference. Or could i have some endocrine problem, my TSH has been normal range but my thyroid feels slightley enlarged. As I mention bloodwork was normal, including my liver enzymes, cardiac enzymes. I feel as though something is just not right and it seems to be generating somewhere from my diaphram to my chin. Could this be biliary or pancrease? i have a chest xray wwhich was normal. what are we missing.
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Only within-chest changes of pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question. Welcome to HCM. I understand your concern.

I would like to start with the fact that exposing to computers or lighting does not effect the heart rate. The heart rate is a very variable parameter of the human organism. I see you have checked various domains to this issue, and nothing was found yet.

Therefore, the mechanism that explains everything may be stressful conditions or periods with high psychological stress which may produce premature contractions in anyone, including me. Premature (atrial or ventricular) contractions are benign phenomena, which can happen to anyone due to excessive stress or physical activity, various hormonal changes etc.

It takes for them to be more than 10.000 present in a 24-hour heart rhythm monitor, so they could be considered pathological. My recommendation and opinion is that there is nothing to worry about and you should continue your everyday activity as it is.

I hope I was helpful with my answer. I am happy to hell, if you have follow-up questions.

Best regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist