What causes chest pain while on Midodrine?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have orthostatic hypotension big time I been on midodrine and that caused other problems my veins and arteries are small it caused chest pain so the doctor said don't take it. Right now I don't know what to do.
I have passed out numerous times I broke my left leg in 2 places also brought the refrigerator on top of me also
Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alternatives under cardiologist care...

Detailed Answer:

Yes, the vasopressor agent may cause chest pain. But it would be worthwhile to check for other risks factors that might lead to chest pain. Treating the risk factors are equally important as stopping midodrine.

As far as orthostatic hypotension is concerned, I understand your difficulties; without the vasopressor agent to maintain BP, accidents, falls and passing out. In this circumstance, I think we might consider the use of fludrocortisone. It's a mineralocorticoid agent which is effective in treating orthostatic hypotension without the constricting effects. You can discuss about this agent with your treating doctor / cardiologist.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.