What causes chest pain during deep inhalation?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi my name is xxxx xxxxx and I have a problem breathing deep I have been to 3 different doctors including one in Mex and they all told me that my problem was in my stomach but medicine prescribed has not helped me.
Hi my name is xxxx xxxxxxx and have a problem breathing deep I have a small tiny pain right in the center of my chest but is muscle pain trying to breathe in deep and kind of stretch that muscle I went to see 3 different docs and they all told me it had nothing to do with my lungs, or heart and my oxygen level was at about 96 percent and a doctor told me it was all in my stomach can you please help me
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 58 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Brief Answer:
Possible hiatal hernia

Your symptoms may indicate specific condition called hiatal hernia and this means that stomach is protruding through diaphragm muscle. It may cause breathing difficulties,nausea, swallowing difficultires and irritation of stomach.

To diagnose it you should do gastroscopy and contrast xrays of stomach.

It will also be aggravated by certain food or medications, stress and smoking. You need to avoid fried food, carbonated drinks, coffee, alcohol and spicy food. You should eat more milk products, vegetables and boiled food.

Also, certain antiacid medications may be required and as last option, it is possible to perform surgical repair of hernia especially if there are progressive respiratory discomfort and pain.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng