What causes carpal tunnel syndrome?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 30 Apr 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: THE HAVE SHOOTING PAIN IN MY THUMBS AND MIDDLE FINGER. THE MIDDLE FINGER WILL LOCK AT TIME
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
?? Strongly suspecting carpal tunnel syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I strongly suspect your symptoms to be related to a condition called 'Carpal Tunnel syndrome'. Let me list all the symptoms for you as well for your reference:

+Numbness or tingling in the palm
+Weakness in one or both hands
+Pain in wrist
+Pain sometimes going till the elbow
+Problem with finger movements in one or both hands (like stiffness, or inability to bend it completely, or difficulty with moving it in the complete range of motion, etc.)
+Weak grip (e.g. difficult to carry bags, difficult to hold something tight with your hand, etc.)
+Numbness or tingling in the thumb or the fingers next to it
+Reduced size of muscles near the thumb (not always seen)

I would recommend you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedician for tests like electromyography, wrist x-rays, nerve conduction tests, etc.

Treatment includes:

+Wearing a splint
+Cold compress to the wrist
+Use of NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)
+Corticosteroid injections to the wrist
+Surgery

I hope you can meet a doctor for further confirmation and treatment of your condition ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 17 hours later
is there anything else except carpal tunnel. I had some friends say that there was a nerve that sometimes get clogged and they had gotten shots to clear this. is that a possibility?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your friends are talking about carpal tunnel syndrome as well :)

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Your friends are speaking of carpal tunnel syndrome as well. Carpal tunnel syndrome is a pinched (medically called nerve entrapment) nerve called the median nerve in the wrist.

And yes, as mentioned in my previous response you can get a shot (corticosteroid injections given into the wrist) to help relieve it to a certain extent. I hope this makes things more clear.

You seem to trust your friends a lot :)

Best wishes.