What causes bumps near belly button and pubic area?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I have a few bumps like this near belly button and pubic area. Been there for few weeks. Any idea what it could be?
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
"Molluscum contagiosum": can be easily treated.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the bump on the pubic region.

After analyzing the picture with diligence and correlating with your history it appears as "Molluscum contagiosum".

To tell you about Molluscum contagiosum: It is a simple viral infection caused by simple skin to skin contact or by sexual transmitted mode.

Clinically the lesions are present as pearly white dome shaped bump with central indentation on the affected area.

Most of the time the lesions may resolve by its own but some may remain and can become slightly larger. In these cases once any lesion remains then there is further possibility of more eruptions from one lesion. Therefore in my opinion any of the bump if remaining should be treated properly.

I treat my patient with simple extraction with needle or by Chemical Cautery or by electrocautery.

There is nothing to be worried about the same and can be very well treated. I suggest you to not pinch, pop or squeeze the area.

I hope these information will help you. I will be glad to help you any further.
With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases

Follow-up: What causes bumps near belly button and pubic area? 1 hour later
I posted another picture of bumps i had for 2 or more months that finally disapeared. I was worried about herpes or some kind of other worrisome thing. But then those went away and i got the bump in the previous picture appear later

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
"Molluscum contagiosum";needling with extraction

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your further follow up.

You do not worry about any type of other sexually transmitted infection including herpes in yourself. At present the bump is simple "Molluscum contagiosum".

It is one of the most simple viral infection and can be treated very easily. It simply requires needling with extraction or electrocautery by an expert dermatologist.

You should not be worried about the same and can be very well treated. I again suggest you to not pinch, pop or squeeze the area as it causes further spread.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

In many a cases it disappears by itself but on the part of further possibility of more eruptions I rpefer to take it out at the earliest.

Follow-up: What causes bumps near belly button and pubic area? 10 hours later
A doctor had said the bumps in the previous picture could of possibly been herpes but they last over 2 months. Thats why im asking your thought?but theni had molloscum appear near waist line later

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Herpes is never seen beyond 2 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hello young buddy,

I can understand your concern for the possibility of herpes and analyzing the picture with diligence I reassure you fully that you do not have herpes 1 or 2.

Let me tell you certain important facts related to herpes:

To tell you medically - Herpes lesions manifest itself as small vesicles (fluid filled blisters) which remains for just a day or two and then forms ulcers which are quite painful. These ulcers then heals in next 5-7 days.

To begin with also these vesicles are quite painful and itchy with discomfort and once the vesicles burst in a day or two then the ulcers which are formed are quite painful for next 4-5 days. So the symptoms can never go unnoticed.
In yourself I can make out that no such symptom is present matching with the above symptoms.

So you can rest assured regarding the rarest possibility of herpes. You can make out that you do not have any of the symptoms which match with herpes or its symptoms or any other Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

In my clinical experience as well as academically speaking herpes lesion remains for 7 days or maximally for 2 weeks. It is th usual sequel of herepes that it forms ulcers within a day and two which also heals within 7 days. It is NEVER seen that herpes remaining for 2 months. Therefore I assure you fully that you have not had herpes lesions. You can see in the pictures that there are tiny whitish bumps which in my view were proliferated oil glands which can remain for multiple weeks

Just relax and get your molluscum extracted.

I hope these information will relax you completely for herpes. I will be glad to help you any further.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Follow-up: What causes bumps near belly button and pubic area? 44 hours later
So herpes bumps always come with symptoms of some kind?

Thanks for help uve eased my mind

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not miles close to herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hello young buddy,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your follow up.

I cent percent reassure you that your condition is not at all herpes. " It is not miles close to herpes my dear young friend"

So just relax for any possibility of herpes and do not at all give any second thoughts for it.

Just get your molluscum extracted so that new one should not develop.

I am always with you to guide you best. I hope these informations will relax your mind. I will be glad to answer any further queries or if not then can close the discussion and rate the answer.

With regards,
Dr Sanjay Kanodia