What causes bright red stool along with diarrhea?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have very bright red bloody stools first thought it was from red cherriesI ate two days ago. NOw has progressed to some diarrhea with still bloody stools. my email address is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hold warfarin immediately. Get detailed check up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
Bright painless bleeding per rectum can be due to bleeding from any part of lower GI tract.
I went through your medication list and found you are on warfarin.
Kindly hold up your warfarin tablet immediately as it causes tendency to bleed more as it thins blood. So the bleeding will progressively increase.
So stop taking warfarin immediately.
I would advice you to visit ER and get coagulation profile checked such as your PT INR. If it much deranged it can be a cause for fresh bleeding per rectum.
Also I would like to consult a gastroenterologist to do a per rectal examination like colonoscopy so as to exactly find out the bleeding vessel or source of bleeding and take action for it.
Also a haemoglobin check will be beneficial as bleeding might be enough to cause anaemia.
If you need any more answers kindly write back.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad