Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

What causes blurred vision in one eye?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 5709 Questions
Hello: Approximately 2 years ago I realized that the vision in my left eye was very blurry. I did not realize this until one day I checked my eyes interchanging covering of one eye and then the other and that is when I found the problem. I cannot identify words, figures, objects etc. especially if the are far away. However if I bring reading material/objects to approximately 5 inches in front of my face I am able to see better. I went to Optometrists and Ophthalmologists and they are unable to identify what the problem is and how to treat with it (I do not wear glasses as this was not improving my vision by much). I am unsure as to how long my left eye have been affected because my right eye compensates for the left eye and I am seeing well with both eyes open. I know however that this was not since childhood as medicals (done for school) including reading of eye charts did not identify any problems with my eyes. Any assistant would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It can be uncorrected refractive error, ambylopia. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic I am Dr Dadapeer, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. I reviewed your history. The complaint you have mentioned is commonly seen in clinical practice where person will not be aware of the reduced vision in one eye as one eye compensates for the eye while we are seeing with both the eyes open. This is usually noticed only when seeing by closing one eye as during eye examination. The common problems are refractive errors retinal problems like retinal scars involving macula... The commonest cause is uncorrected refractive error. If the condition is not corrected it may make one eye dull called as lazy eye or ambylopia. The other common problem is retinal scars usually because of infections seen in childhood like toxoplasma scars involving the macula... Hence first thing to be done is visual assessment, refraction examination of retina by a ophthalmologist. The next treatment depends on the cause. If it is uncorrected refractive error the ttreatment available is spectacles, contact lenses or laser refractive surgeries. If it has caused ambylopia not many options are available as you are now 26 years but still refractive error correction can improve vision up to some extent. The retinal problems need to evaluated and if active require treatment. Hence you need to get complete examination to find out the cause by a ophthalmologist. If you can get back to me with the results of vision assessment, refraction and retinal examination I can guide you further. Hole I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes blurred vision in one eye? 38 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I will take your advise and visit an Ophthalmologist as soon as possible. I am not sure if you saw the picture I uploaded. If not, could you please view the picture and state if it is of any help or changes your thoughts as to what the problem is.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Requires repeat examination of retina. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up query. I went through the photo attached with the query. It is a fundus photograph showing retina and optic nerve. The fundus picture is fairly normal but the optic disc is pale hence needs to rule out optic nerve atrophy as a cause for diminution of vision in the respective eye. Since the fundus photo is taken 2 years back I advice you for examination now to know the status of the optic nerve. Hence I advice you to consult your doctor for examination and report as of now. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor