What causes an irregular heartbeat?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: All day I've been having an irregular heartbeat. It seems like it goes a couple of beats, hesitates and thumps. In the past, I've had short periods of this and figured it was just normal. But, this has been all day. I began a water aerobics class yesterday and went again today. I don't have any other symptoms other than only slightly light-headed, very slightly. My balance is off, it seems. I am 70 years old but in good health. Weigh 120 lbs, am a non-smoker/non-drinker and a vegetarian. The only medication I am on is ultram. I recently increased the doseage and take about 9, 50 mg pills a day.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

First of all is essential to find out what kind of arrhythmias you're having recently.

Secondly in order to do so is necessary to schedule for the following examinations:
- Blood work including thyroid hormones
- Ecg
- Cardiac echo
- Holter monitoring

Thirdly if the arrhythmia become more intense or you doesn't feel well you should go immediately to ER.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu