question-icon

What causes ammonia smell in urine while on antibiotics for pain?

Posted on Thu, 5 May 2016
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX I am 40yrs old today I noticed my urine smells like ammonia I take metformin, Cozaar, levothyroxin, atenolol, iron sulfate, omperzole, wellbutrin, carbazipime, orthotrycycline lo and celebrex for pain do I need to call my doctor
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Pls see detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
Good day and thank you being with healthcare magic!

A strong smell in the urine can be percieved as an ammonia smell. It is a non specific symptom and may be due to multiple factors such as dehydration, consumption of foods rich in protein (meats), green leafy vegetables. It may also be a sign of urinary tract infection and kidney stones.

I suggest to drink plenty of water and if the smell persists then You may need to submit a urine sample for a urinalysis to check if you have infection or stones.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-manuel-c-see-iv/66014 I would gladly help you. Best wishes.
Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist