Suggest antidepressants with less side effects while suffering from stroke

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My mother-in-law was on trazodone prior to having a stroke. She seems to need an antidepressant and I am wondering if trazodone is a proper medication for her condition or if another antidepressant would be preferable. From my online research it seemed that trazodone was a vasoconstrictor and could possibly cause stroke-like symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suggested antidepressants

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. First of all, I agree with the doctor's hesitation to put your mother in law back on trazodone.

There are a few antidepressants with the least side effects that I would suggest, such as Mirtazapine (Remeron), Citalopram (Celexa) or Bupropion (Wellbutrin). However, provided that her doctor shares your opinion that she needs to be on an antidepressant they will likely agree to prescribe any of the above suggestions, based on her medical history.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D