Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Suggest antidepressants with less side effects while suffering from stroke

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 544 Questions
My mother-in-law was on trazodone prior to having a stroke. She seems to need an antidepressant and I am wondering if trazodone is a proper medication for her condition or if another antidepressant would be preferable. From my online research it seemed that trazodone was a vasoconstrictor and could possibly cause stroke-like symptoms.
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suggested antidepressants

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. First of all, I agree with the doctor's hesitation to put your mother in law back on trazodone.

There are a few antidepressants with the least side effects that I would suggest, such as Mirtazapine (Remeron), Citalopram (Celexa) or Bupropion (Wellbutrin). However, provided that her doctor shares your opinion that she needs to be on an antidepressant they will likely agree to prescribe any of the above suggestions, based on her medical history.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor