What causes actinic keratosis?
I am depressed about the prognosis. Please fill me in.
Hi and thanks for contacting us.
Actinic keratosis are hardened skin lesions that develop following years of prolonged exposure to sunlight. They most commonly appear on the face, scalp, neck, arms, etc. They generally cause no pain or other symptoms but for the fact that they may not be very appealing to sight. However, a very tiny percentage might develop into skin cancer after several years.
While some actinic keratotic lesions might disappear spontaneously, the general consensus is to treat them. We use medications or minor surgical procedures to remove them. This is followed by monitoring for any further growths so that they can be assessed and removed. Also, keeping away from direct sunlight exposure is very helpful.
Should you panic? NO. I will suggest that they get removed is just a few or medications used to apply and monitoring thereafter to ensure non recurrence.
I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Creams and surgical procedures as detailed below!
These would be commonly available and used medications.
Creams such as Fluorouracil cream (Carac, Fluoroplex, Efudex) and Imiquimod cream (Aldara, Zyclara) can be used. Some also use voltarene gel. You would certainly consult with your doctor for scripts and guidance.
Other procedures such as phototherapy or surgical approaches such as curettage and cryotherapy(some of which I as I see you've already undergone).
Let me know if this addresses your worry.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Bowenoid actinic keratosis
- Carac cream for actinic keratosis
- Hyperkeratotic actinic keratosis
- Cure for actinic keratosis
- Lichenoid actinic keratosis treatment
- Actinic keratosis causes
- Will santyl treat actinic keratosis?
- Chemotherapy cream for actinic keratosis
- Lichenoid actinic keratosis
- Can actinic keratosis cause a swollen gland
- CT scan showed cancer tumor inside liver. Swollen abdomen, little...
- Shaved around private parts and around base of penis. Bumps are like...
- Having blood pressure. Taking Sandoz Fenofibrate. Should I go for higher...
- Severe anal itching and rashes on buttocks. Suggest medication
- Stomach upset, gas and bloating. What could this be?
- Can I contract HIV through blowjob?
- Having swollen testicles. Could this be a sign of cancer?
- Had rectal prolapse surgery. Should I be concerned of having irregular...
- What causes numbness in toe?
- Is Hydrazine sulfate effective for cancer patients suffering from cachexia?