What causes abdominal pain after a colonoscopy with history of melanoma?

Posted on Wed, 13 Apr 2016 in Cancer
Question: My husband, 70, has GI bleeding, history of melanoma in '81, is tired frequently, has some low grade pain on his right side and had a colonoscopy this a.m. We were told that all that was found this a.m. were hemroids and stomach inflammation. He has a fluoroscopy of the small bowel scheduled for tomorrow. We are worried about possible return of melanoma. Can you tell us any more about this situation? Worried wife.

The urologist Bo saw last Monday said he wants to see him again in 3 months, but that his prostate has no bumps or lumps.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Melanoma is not the reason for sure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Melanoma 35 years ago is more than a history. If any melanoma cells were left in his body, he would have reccurrence in a year or 2 after the treatment. Melanoma cells do multiply extremely fast and do not stay remnant for 35 years.
So there is no reason to be afraid of melanoma at this point.

The pain can be caused by many reasons including bladder inflammation due to enlarged prostate for example.
PSA 5 is an indication to perform biopsy. Please discuss it with his urologist.

Bleeding from hemorrhoids is the most common reason of all lower GI bleeding. Colonoscopy is negative so there is no reason to be afraid at all.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Thank you so much. I was under the impression that melanoma could recur even 25 or so years later. But I am not informed about the latest research. Do you know of further reading we can do on this topic?
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to focus on melanoma.

Detailed Answer:
If its about melanoma, you should not dig in this topic anymore. This is simply not possible to be it. And it does not act like bleeding.
Fluoroscopy is a good next step. You seem to be in a good hands.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon