What causes abdominal cramps and pain while on Ibuprofen?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had stomach cramping in upper abdomen for about 12 hours. I have been using ibuprofen almost daily for about 2 to 3 weeks. I also drink 2-3 beers each evening. I have taken zantac, pepto bismol and baking soda but no relief. What medication would help?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dicyclomine would help you(need a prescription for the same).

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query .
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
As per your query answers are-

Cramps means that there is spasm in intestinal muscles.Anti inflammatory like ibuprofen would take care of inflammation but to relieve spasms antispasmodics like Dicyclomine is required.

I would recommend you to use a combination of anti inflammatory with antispasmodic (Mefenemic acid with Dicyclomine).
Mefenemic acid would take care of inflammation while dicyclomine would relieve spasms.
If not relieved even after that then consult a gastroenteetologist and get a ultrasound abdomen done.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng