Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
166 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3129 Questions

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i have acid reflex coughing gases
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Is the Nexium working for you? Some people prefer an H2 blocker such as Zantac (150 mg twice a day). But don't use both.

Other things to do to decrease acid reflux are:

Dont lie down within 2-3 hrs after eating.

Eat small amounts but more frequently. Filling the stomach increases the likelihood of acid reflux.

No smoking, avoid alcohol, and decrease caffeine, such as coffee and chocolate.

Avoid soda drinks (especially colas).

Don't eat or drink mint. I know this one sounds strange, but mint can relax the lower esophageal sphincter, and this can allow more reflux.

Avoid acidic foods and drinks such as citrus and tomatoes.

If overweight, do your best to try to decrease weight (gradually).

If acid reflux is more during the night, put blocks under the posts of the head of the bed to raise it up - gravity can help.

If these things don't help, then do go in to see your doctor.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Zantac

doctor1 MD

I am asthmatic since early childhood ,Now since one year I have devoloped chronic urticaria and I have raised IGE Levels normal value is 190 and...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have been diagnosed with UC about 14 years ago, was treated successfully and it went into remission. 2 years ago I had a bowel obstruction,...

doctor1 MD

I m 60 yrs. old, 178lbs and pretty good health. The following symtoms I have a tickle in my throat which leads to a cough watery eyes with...

doctor1 MD

I have been having some type of attacks that we stiff haven't got to the bottom of, I have been diagnosed with ulcer because the zantac helped me...

doctor1 MD

69 year old male - for two months I have had excess mucus in my throat. i particularly notice it at night and often start swallowing to try to get...

doctor1 MD

I am 74 and I take 20 mg of omeprazole once a day. My kidney function has decreased over 3 months from 52 to 42eGRF. Should I quit taking omeprazole?