Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i have acid reflex coughing gases
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Is the Nexium working for you? Some people prefer an H2 blocker such as Zantac (150 mg twice a day). But don't use both.

Other things to do to decrease acid reflux are:

Dont lie down within 2-3 hrs after eating.

Eat small amounts but more frequently. Filling the stomach increases the likelihood of acid reflux.

No smoking, avoid alcohol, and decrease caffeine, such as coffee and chocolate.

Avoid soda drinks (especially colas).

Don't eat or drink mint. I know this one sounds strange, but mint can relax the lower esophageal sphincter, and this can allow more reflux.

Avoid acidic foods and drinks such as citrus and tomatoes.

If overweight, do your best to try to decrease weight (gradually).

If acid reflux is more during the night, put blocks under the posts of the head of the bed to raise it up - gravity can help.

If these things don't help, then do go in to see your doctor.

I hope you are feeling better soon.