Is discontinuation of Omeprazole advisable owing to adverse effects?

Excellent

Question
I am 74 and I take 20 mg of omeprazole once a day. My kidney function has decreased over 3 months from 52 to 42eGRF. Should I quit taking omeprazole?
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am,I have gone through your question and i understand your concerns but unfourtanetly it is a documented side effect of omeprazol to cause impaired renal functions, although rare.. I would recommend that you stop taking omeprazol and switch to Zantac instead.. I hope you find this helpful..