What causes a rash with foul odor on the feet?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor,

For the past several years, I have been facing this problem. Each year during the end of Dec or start of XXXXXXX my feet start to stink. I develop some pores on my feet typically the portion below where the toes end. The pores spread through half of the foot and my socks and feet stink a lot. The pores are painful if pressed. This automatically disappears sometime in March. This happens each year and during the same months that I mentioned. Rest of the year, there is no stinking or pores on my feet. Please advise.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern.

You seem to have pitted keratolysis which is more common in those who have plantar hyperhidrosis. I request you to kindly upload an image so that i am able to guide you better.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,

Attached image is what it looks like.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pitted keratolysis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

This condition is known as pitted keratolysis. It is an infection caused by corynebacteria. Plantar hyperhidrosis is a predisposing factor.
You may take oral erythrmycin e.g tab Althrocin 500mg, 3x daily for a week.
In addition topically you may use Persol forte cream (contains benzoyl peroxide 10%), 2x daily for 2 weeks.
Avoid wearing shoes as much as possible. Wear sandals or slippers. Use an antibacterial soap for bath.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj