What causes a persistent cough with phlegm in a COPD patient?

Pulmonologist
Question
I have been diagnosed in previous years ago with COPD. (a mild case). I have had no problems for several years; however, recently I have been coughing up clear phlegm with a persistent hack. I have been to the doctor three times and have taken three different antibiotics; ampicillin, doxycycline, and one other. I have taken two rounds of prednisone - one 5 day round and I am in the 8th day of a ten day round with minimal relief. I have also been taking Mucinex for 6 weeks as this condition has continued. No fever, Chest Xray clear, no pain in sinus area. Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do the following

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I can understand your concern

According to the history you provide if you were my patient i would recommend you to do a Spirometry test and a cardiologist consultation.

The Spirometry is absolutely needed for evaluating your actual lung volumes. Probably they might be reduced a little and you might need nebulizer with steroids (like Budesonide twice).

The heart status should be examined too because it is closely related to COPD and may be the cause that the actual treatment you are taking is not working so well for you.

I wish a fast recovery for you

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda