What causes a painful bump on the areola?

General Surgeon
Question
Hello, I have a painful bump on my left areola and I has been here for about 3 days and I was wondering what it could be or how to treat it?
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
looks like furuncle

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

As per your short duration of history and the picture, to me it appears to be a furuncle/boil, as there is redness of the skin too in the surrounding region.

But still a clinical examination will be diagnostic. So i would suggest that you show it to a surgeon.

If it comes out to be the same, he will start you on antibiotics and painkillers that will either resolve the infection, or it will ripen and brust.

And as all antibiotics are prescription drugs, so you will have to see a local doctor.

Hope i have i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma