What causes a loud pop and stabbing pain in the ribs after injury?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi I fell and have 2 fractures on ribs 7&8 on right side. This happened Friday night. This evening I had a loud pop and stabbing pain in same areas. Is it possible this got worse?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX fractures have excellent tendency to heal

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Usually uncomplicated XXXXXXX fractures heal on their own and need no special care. Avoid lying towards the side that makes you uncomfortable.

The loud pop could be movement of the fracture. Maybe if you'd splint the fracture you'd find better relief. If you ever do develop shortness of breath or feeling of heaviness in the chest, you should show to the Emergency Medicine physician top rule out bleeding around the lung.

As of now it wouldn't have gotten worse because rib fractures have excellent tendency to heal.

You can continue with the pain meds and do follow up with your doctor after a couple of weeks.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 51 minutes later
Can the pop and movement cause additional pain
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes. The fractures are still XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Yes, since the fractures take atleast a week for the start of healing to show up, it will cause pain because the fracture ends are more XXXXXXX till then.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng