What causes a cyst near the incision site post ALIF surgery?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Lump
Question: I AM 3 WEEKS OUT OF ALIF SURGERY AND MY ABD INCISION HAS HEALED NICELY. i AM NOW FEELING A KNOT OR CYST TOWARDS LEFT SIDE OF INCISION IT IS A BURNING PAIN, WHEN I BEND OR MOVE AND HAS REALLY BOTHERED ME TODAY. IS THIS NORMAL?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
HI and welcome.
Well, this is still an early postoperative period and wound usually heals for 6 weeks. During this time it is possible to feel burning from time to time. Knot may be sign of fibrosis or reactions to surgical suture material. However, if there is redness, pus secretion, fever or you feel fluctuation inside the wound then this may indicate wound infection and you should see doctor in this case. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T