What causes Herpetic keratitis

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My 49 years generally healthy sister was diagnosed with keratitis herpetic oc. dextra on march 02,2014 after probable contact lens damage / astigm myop x 20 years/ Corneal scar tissue is seen on CT /three shape/ with occasional eye burning, photosensitivity and waterish discharge Healing process appears to be slow but not worse despite almost daily follow ups with ophthalmologists She is on antiviral therapy; acyclovir pills 5x400 Corticosteroid solution 3x1, Corneregel 3-4 times and Atropine was stopped recently Your opinion will be very helpful about therapy and prognosis. Thank you XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: She is having herpetic keratitis,a viral infection Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. I went through the history and the clinical report attached with the history. It seems from the history that your sister is having herpetic keratitis and she is one treatment with antiviral drug acyclovir, corticosteroid eye drops and cornigel. Herpetic keratitis is caused by infection or inflammation of the cornea by herpes virus.The disease usually runs a long course and is typically recurrent in nature and is related to hypersenstivity reaction to the herpes antigen. The treatment of the condition is by antiviral drugs like acyclovir and corticosteroids and the treatment is in right direction, hence no need to worry, the disease will resolve. Cornigel is given for symptomatic relief and it will help in healing of the corneal disease. Contact lens damage is not related to herpes viral infections but wearing of contact lenses should be discontinued as this may increase the severity of infection. Coming to the clinical report attached with the query, it is Ocular coherence tomograph (OCT) photo of the right eye. OCT is done to diagnose the retinal diseases and the OCT of your sister is normal no need to worry. Hence to conclude I can say the treatment of herpetic keratitis is in right direction and it will resolve, but will take time as this is usually a chronic infection and it may take upto 3 months to resolve completely. The prognosis depends on the corneal opacity left out after the healing of the keratitis. Usually a majority of patients do well no need to worry. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you