What casues swelling on hand and ankle with dizziness?

Posted on Sat, 24 May 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My right hand is swollen, as is my left ankle slightly. I feel light headed, dizzy.
Condition developed as I slept in bed.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is sudden increase in blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam,
I have read your symptoms and it looks to me that there is sudden rise in your blood pressure. This causes more load on your heart and it leads to swelling in ankle and hand. This is causing light head and dizzy feeling too.
You have not mentioned what tablets you are taking for hypertension. It would be better if you get your blood pressure check as early as possible.
If your Blood pressure comes higher then normal, you should take antihypertensive after discussing with your doctor. A sleeping pill will also be useful.
I hope this answer will help you.Let me know if i can answer any other question for you. Thanks. Wish you a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement