question-icon

What can commonly cause blood in stool?

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2019
Question: I keep seeing small droplets of blood on my toilet paper after I go to the bathroom. Sometimes after I have gone I get and intense irritation and I have to scratch my butt. I am trying moist towelettes to help clean myself but I don't know how to make it stop I think I may have gotten in contact with something I was allergic to and it may have started it and I've just been to rough with myself thereby preventing the healing but I'm not sure
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (26 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Few possible causes.

Detailed Answer:

Hi and welcome.

First, there is no reason to be worried since blood in stool is common issue and on your age some serious diseases are rarity. Most commonly this happens due to hemorrhoids, anal fissure or fistula. Or it may be just irritation after hard stool. In every case, you should first have high fiber diet with lot of fluids to soften your stool, have sitz baths and take Detralex pills. If there won't be improvement you should see proctologist for further evaluation.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (48 hours later)
How long until I see an improvement? I've tried the bath and the irritation has gone down but I'm still seeing blood (just smaller droplets).
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (21 hours later)
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome...

Well, it may take 1-2 weeks for rectal mucosa to heal after fissure or hemorrhoids.

If not, then you should see proctologist.

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein, General Surgeon
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon