What can cause loss of balance and poor motor coordination?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Sat, 6 Jul 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: what would cause the loss of balance and motor coordination suddenly with a healthy physically fit man 55. no dizzyness. Basically, i am walking like i am drunk.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to a stroke affecting certain parts of the brain

Detailed Answer:

The cerebellum and the internal ear control the balance (along with some other parts as well). It is possible that you have suffered a cerebellar stroke or a stroke affecting the brain areas responsible for the balance. You, therefore, need to visit a doctor and get a thorough neurological evaluation is done.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING. IS THIS FIXABLE OR SOMETHING I WILL HAVE TO LIVE WITH?
. ALSO. WILL IT GET WORSE? I KIND OF FIGURED THE SAME THING. WAS HOPING AT FIRST THAT IT WAS A BAD CASE OF VIRTIGO, BUT THERE WAS NO DIZZYNESS AT ALL. THANKFULLY MY SPEACH OR ABILITY TO REASON WAS NOT AFFECTED. I RESEARCHED THE OTHER POSSIBLE CAUSES, BUT THEY ALL HAD ONE THING IN COMMON. PAIN AND NUMBNESS. I HAVE NEITHER, EXCEPT FRUSTRATION. I AM DOING MY BEST TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE LOOKING AT ME THINKING THAT I AM DRUNK [I DO DRINK, BUT I NEVER STAGGARD LIKE THIS. LOL.] IT'S EMBARRASING. AND UNFORTUNATELY I AM SELF EMPLOYED AND HAVE NO INSURANCE.
ANYWAY, THANK YOU DR. PROF SAHA FOR YOU'RE TIME AND SHARING YOUR WISDOM.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Significant improvement of function can be achieved

Detailed Answer:

If it is stroke (technically referred to as cerebrovascular accident) you will outgrow much of it. Although direct treatment is not possible, indirect therapy like physical therapy, occupational therapy etc. have a significantly beneficial role in correcting the underlying damage. I would insist you to see a neurologist. He would possibly ask you to go for an MRI of the brain. He can give you appropriate suggestions based on the findings.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad