What can cause leg numbness and sharp pain in the lower abdomen and buttocks immediately after eating?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 27 Aug 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am experiencing numbness in my legs and sharp pain in my lower abdomen and buttocks, usually after I eat It doesn't subside until I take 2 Excedrin and drink a lot of water
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need ultrasound abdomen and pelvis and anti spasmodic drugs.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, radiation to legs and involvement of lower abdomen also raises possibility of renal colic though renal stones usually cause pains at flanks but if impacted Stone in ureters it can present with the same set of symptoms. A urinalysis and ultrasound KUB as well as abdomen including pelvis should also be performed.

After meals if it arises possibility of filled gut loops or peristaltic movement may increase such colicky pains.

If any change in bowel habits is felt or abdomen gets tense or severely tender, a X-ray erect abdomen may be needed to look for any air fluid levels or dilated gut loops. CT abdomen and pelvis may also be indicated if other work up remain inconclusive.

Meanwhile antispasmodic like Drotavarine can be used along with OTC analgesics like Acetaminophen. In severe pain more potent analgesics like Tramadol may be needed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query.

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T