What are the withdrawal symptoms of Donepezil?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: My wife was taking DONEPEZIL and had severe reactions to it. Her Dr. reduced the dosage but she still could not tolerate it and quit taking it altogether six days ago. Since she quit, she is constantly feeling ill with level 8 pain in both hips, and now has diarrhea and vomiting, cold sweats and constant nausea. Does this sound like a withdrawal symptom? She has no fever or other symptoms of virus or cold.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is unlikely to be withdrawal

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Icliniq.

Although withdrawal symptoms can occur with donepezil discontinuation but they are extremely rare and mild. In my last four years of experience in geriatric psychiatry I am yet to see any patients with such kind of withdrawal symptoms in particular pains and diarrhea.

Infact diarrhea are one of the common side effects and not something which occur on discontinuation.

In my view there is need to visit a doctor as it is just a coincidence overlapping with donepezil withdrawal.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.