What are the uses of Cry-No-Drops?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi Sir , My daughter is crying with out any reason we consulted doctor .He suggested us to use cry no drops.please help us should we go head and use this?Why cry no drops are used
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cry no drops assuming lactose intolerance

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.'Cry No' drops contains Lactase enzyme which helps in absorption of lactose(present in milk)and is used in case of lactose intolerance when there is qualitative or quantitative defect in production of lactase enzymes in the body.
I would like to know the current age of your baby.
It is usually prescribed for babies under 6 months of age who do not tolerate breast milk or lactose based formula.Symptoms of intolerance are excessive crying,loose stool,redness in perianal area,excessive gas formation and poor feeds.
If excessive cry could not be explained by clinical examination(on examination there is no abnormality) and otherwise baby is healthy,Colic is considered to be the most common cause.In most of the cases the exact cause of colic could not be made out but giving colic medicine like Simethicon/Dicycomine(a form of antispasmodic) helps in this condition.
Lactase can also provide help but only when the colic is caused by lactose
intolerance.
I don't think the 'Cry no' drops would be helpful if there are no other signs of lactose intolerance.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.