What are the symptoms of cardiomyopathy?

Dr. Goswami Debopom

Posted on Tue, 5 May 2015 in Lump
Question: Hello-I am a 73 yr old female who was diagnosed 15 yrs ago with cardiomyopathy . I have a biventricular pace maker. Right now I have badly swollen legs with blisters and my left arm is larger than my right arm. I am on 20 mg. of a diurectic (sp?) twice a day and prop my legs up for 45 minutes 3 times a day. Is there anything more I can do? I have been hospitalized 3 times and drained ' What's with the arm? Thank you--Martha XXXXXXX Quillian s
Answered by Dr. Goswami Debopom 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is not much to worry about the arm-size disparity.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthCare Magic. Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand that you are having cardiomyopathy for the last 15 years.
Arm size difference is not much to worry about.

I would suggest you to-
1. not worry much
2. Continue with the medication (20 mg of diuretic)
3. Get your blood pressure checked
4. Get a chest Xray , Electrocardiogram , Echocardiography done to know the exact functioning of your heart . We need to look at your ejection fraction.

Visit a cardiologist. He/she can examine you and correlate clinically.
Hope this helps.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj