What are the signs and symptoms of paraphilia?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: hi ... i am 36 male... and going under treatment for obsessions.. pure o... medicine is prozac 80mg per dy...almost better... treatmnt started around 8 months over.. sir here i have two doubts tht..married ..and normal means hetro sex... and no childhood abuse or trauma...

sir .., when startd obsession i have some fear about paraphillic disorder bt almost doubts are remitted through prozac.. bt have somemore.., tht is...i have a tendency to look the toe nails of ladies sply polished nail... i know its a partialism.. bt i dont have any severe impulse or action for tht.. just a look.. in my concious mind ,its not for sex. i taken this as the well maintainted toe nail as the symbol of neatness and persnalty...this habit laid from my childhood...just a one time lookin thts only...

and now when the obsession started i have doubted this partialism is a early symbol of terrible paraphilia like pedophillia or voyeurism... or my habit is a paraphilla and it leads to any other paraphillia onset at any tym

.. have any chance for that sir...
my parents are doctors and they told me.., no way bt my mind is not acceptin tht.. i need to get a psychiartist clarification... so plss... go through my problem...
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
you probably have obsession of watching toe nails, not partialism

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us again.

As per definition of Partialism is sexual interest with an exclusive focus on a specific part of the body other than the genitals. It leads to erotic attraction.

In your case your habit of watching toe nails is not related sexuality rather than it symbolize neatness and personality for you. It does not fit in category of fetishistic disorder (previously known as paraphilia not otherwise specified).

Even if anyone have partialism - Podophilia (foot fetish) it is not necessary that he may get other paraphilia later on.

In conclusion you do not have paraphilia but you have OCD only and considering your present history you do not have chance of developing paraphilia. Ask your psychiatrist to resolve this obsessions with CBT- Cognitive behavior therapy as you are already on right medicine.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 5 hours later
hi..sir .
thanku..
so can i assure , have no chance for any paraphillia onset.. my age is 36 and is this age abve the paraphillia usual onset age?...

thanku sir...

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
according to available data onset of paraphilia during puberty

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking your doubt.

According to available epidemiological data paraphilias have onset during puberty and can develop prior to adolescence. You have passed already that age. No chance of any paraphilia onset now in your case.

If still any query there, I will be happy to answer. If not, you can close the discussion and give your feedback and rating so I can improve my service.

In future if you wish you can contact me directly with following link:
http://bit.ly/drchintansolanki

by clicking on 'Ask me a question' on same page with three follow up questions.