What are the signs and symptoms of mumps?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Infections
Question: I was in contact with a friend 8 days ago who thinks she has the mumps ... I had the mumps as a child ... am I a carrier to my newborn granddaughter and my other pregnant daughter ... I have no symptons
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. No, your aren't a carrier

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Unlike varicella--the chickenpox virus that stays dormant in the body for life after one contracts chickenpox--once one gets the mumps and the condition resolves, one is no longer contagious and isn't a carrier of the virus and can't contract the virus from someone else.

So no need to worry here with your granddaughter or your daughter

Please let me know if you need any more information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj