What are the signs and symptoms of a transient ischemic attack?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I had a retina reattached about a month ago. Eye is doing fine but over the last two days I have had 3 very short periods of speech problems (slurred?) Not sure if it is related but getting a little concerned. Other than Bickerstaff syndrome and Addisons I'm pretty healthy for 60 years old.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be Transient ischemic attack.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

3 episodes of Slurred speech in two days can be because of minor stroke better termed as transient ischemic attack. Most likely it has nothing to do with your retina.A transient ischemic attack ,occurs when part of the brain experiences a temporary lack of blood flow. This causes stroke-like symptoms that resolve within 24 hours. Unlike a stroke, a TIA doesn't kill brain tissue or cause permanent disabilities. Mostly symptoms last from a couple of minutes to 15 minutes.
I would advice you to go for a MRI brain stroke protocol to rule out any possibility of stroke.
Carotid ultrasonography- to rule out any blockage in carotid artery supplying blood to brain.
Follow up with reports.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 7 hours later
Can't do MRI-----pace maker :( But will follow up with dr. Thank you. Figured that was what it was.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Thanks.

Detailed Answer:
follow up with neurology advice.
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj