What are the side effects of anabolic steroid?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 7 May 2015 in General Health
Question: I was taking anavar 10mg a day for about six weeks and stopped immediately after finding out I was pregnant. I'm probably five weeks along. What potential risks am I faced with for the unborn child. I'm scared.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For female babies, they may have male like external genitalial!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about the fact that you took this medication not knowing you were pregnant. This drug(anabolic steroid) is absolutely contra-indicated in pregnancy particularly during the first trimester of pregnancy because it may cause virilization of the external genitalia of the female fetus. This means that the external genital sod the female may look hypertrophied like those of a male. How common is this is not known as no studies have been carried in humans to tell how common this is. However, if this were very common, I am pretty sure we would have been advocating for birth control while on this medication. Because it is not the case, we may think that it is not on the other extreme end but some where closer to the norm.

At this time, being scared would not help. I will recommend you inform your OBGYN as soon as possible so that he can do the needed tests to make sure all is okay and if there are any concerns you both can talk about and address accordingly.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of all possible outcomes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad