What are the side effects of Methadone?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my husband is terminally Ill and his hospice nurses recently switched him from Percocet to methodone which is causing him to sleep incessantly, something he didn't do before. What is the problem?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See below!!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks so much for contacting us at HealthcareMagic.

I have reviewed your husband’s information fully. Sleeping after receiving these pain medications is a side effect of methadone. If I got you well, you mentioned he’s in hospice. When persons are in hospice, the upper hand is given to comfort and as such providing the best drug and at doses that can keep him pain free is the preferred approach. This might explain why doctors are not too worried about him sleeping much but focused on letting him have a pain free stay. This is ethically and professionally sound.

You may say you want him to sleep less but that means he would be in pain. Am not sure that’s something you would want to see him go through. I understand how difficult this moment is, I can only wish that you find the strength and right attitude to see it through.

I hope this helps you understand the change and the reasons why. I hope this provides some comfort to you. I wish your hospital a calm transition and may God provide you with the strength needed to stay true to this very daunting test.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy