What are the side effects of Cortisone shot?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a cortisone shot (40 mg depo medrol) in my knee 18 days ago. Exactly 1 week after the shot I went into full blown panic / anxiety mode. How long will this last? My underlying anxiety was under control before this.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Takes 2-3 weeks to subside.

Detailed Answer:
The increase in anxiety can be due to the systemic absorption of the steroid injected in the knee. This is likely to subside in next 1-2 weeks. Till then it is best to avoid caffeine and alcohol and do deep breathing exercises to relax and calm your mind.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
This week was week two and I felt like the anxiety increased even more. I'm hoping this will start to taper down in intensity soon. Also, my resting heart rate has been between 90- 100. Should I worry about this?
Brief Answer:
Not worrisome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A resting heart rate of 90-100 is slightly on a higher side but can be due to anxiety. Try doing relaxation exercises to reduce the heart rate.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar