Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

What are the risks of having HIV after unprotected intercourse?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
Hi - I had a risky encounter 3 months ago and am scared I might have contracted HIV - I have no reason to believe the woman is infected but the condom broke so there was contact. I had a full blood panel and everything was normal except my lymphocytes were slightly low (19.5%). I've been under extreme emotional stress over this to the point where I have been out of work for weeks. I just got the HIV test but need to wait two days for results and am going insane - Please help!
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for writing in.

I can understand that you are going through a very stressful time. You have also mentioned that you have been extremely worried about the slightly low differential lymphocyte count of 19.5%.

Now, firstly, let me first explain to you that it is common to have mild variations in the differential count and this does not necessarily mean that you have a major abnormality. Secondly, a differential lymphocyte count is no way corelated to or indicative of a HIV infection. So, you don't need to worry about the slightly differential lymphocyte count.

I appreciate your courage to get a HIV testing done. It is the best way to clear your doubts regarding your risky encounter and you have taken the right step. So, please stay calm and wait for the results. Many voluntary HIV testing centres have a counsellor who can give you pre- and post-test counselling and clarify your doubts. So, if you are finding it difficult to manage the anxiety and fear, please seek the help of a counsellor.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor