• question-icon

What are the repercussions of the accidental ingestion of Betadine oral antiseptic solution?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have accidently swallowed 10 milligrams of Betadine oral antiseptic solution as I thought it was cough mixture, what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Small amount , no worries but still go to ER ASAP

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. No matter what the quantity is , one should always contact poison control and professionals to remedy it although your intake was very little and hardly matter but still to be on the safer road and let them assess the situation. Povidone is notorious for adhesions and it should be taken out probably by lavage with in 2 hours of intake.The good thing is oral antiseptic povidone / betadine solutions have less amount of povidone in it and its made in context that it may be slightly swallowed ori ngested during mouth wash care so i am pretty sure it wont do much harm. Just go to ER and let them take care of you.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Regards XXXXXXX
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan