• question-icon

What are the repercussions of accidental ingestion of Lizol disinfectant?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: i draank lizol jus now..3-5 gulps.. n did puke aftr dat..i hav burining windpipe...continous saliva formation.. do i hv to visit doc now?? or can i visit in the morning ??
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you need to Visit your nearest ER at the earliest....

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX, Welcome to HCM,

Lysol contains lot of toxic material among which it's the Phenol , hydrogen per-oxide and some other hydrocarbonated materials are the most dangerous..

If timely intervention doesn't take place then it'll become life threatening as well as very very painful..

No, you can't wait till morning as every bit of time is vital for you. Please rush to your nearest ER for urgent care and management by Emergency physician ..

Do not try to throw-up any more(as you've mentioned you've done that already) , because it just worsens the effect of the toxin..

Do not panic, call for help and don't try to drive on your own..

Do not try to eat or drink any thing, anything at all !!

Remember time is the most valuable factor now, since you've explained that you've just now consumed it so chances of recovery is good if managed promptly..

Try to stay awake , don't try to swallow the saliva, keep spitting it out..

Don't hesitate anymore dear , as with further delay there are chances of severe damage to Gastro-esophageal mucosa as well as internal burn and chemical pneumonitis..

Let me know how you stay later on..

Wishing you a fast and speedy recovery..

Best Wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist