What are the repercussions of accidental ingestion of 2 mg Nicotine?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I accidentally swallowed a whole nicotine lozenge (2 mg). Will I be ok? Do I need to go to ER or wait and see or not worry?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no worries normally

Detailed Answer:

the usual dosage is 2-4mg every 1-2 hours so it's not that high! What was the dosage you were instructed to take?
You haven't mentioned any medical history so I gathered you're healthy. Nicotine may complicate serious heart disease.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 13 minutes later
I have been on this dose the longest. I was instructed to use the four mg but cut down to two mg instead after not too long.

Should I expect any symptoms of nicotine poisoning on this dose if swallowed?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not really...

Detailed Answer:
No, this dose is not very high and you're otherwise healthy. If you do develop symptoms like fast heart rate, palpitations, etc then you should visit a doctor but this is not expected with this dose. When you smoked cigarettes the nicotine levels were higher and reached the highest levels sooner than with the lozenge, so don't worry that much...

Kind Regards!