What are the reasons for burning sensation in the throat and severe ulcers in the mouth and throat?
I'm sorry you are having all of this! There are a number of things that can cause what you are describing, and I'm glad your doctor swabbed your throat. I don't know if he/she swabbed for bacteria only or did a separate swab for possible viral infection, which it may be.
Some of the common causes include:
1. Herpes, usually Type I (oral herpes): This is a virus that can cause cold sores and blisters and ulcers. Treatment (although it does not cure) is an antiviral medication. If the problem is extensive, sometimes IV antiviral medications needed.
2. Shingles: this is caused by a different virus in the herpes family, the one that causes chicken pox initially when people are children and can come back later as shingles. An antiviral medicine is used for this too.
3. Hand-foot-mouth: Another virus. Usually this is in young children, but I have seen it in young adults too. The hands and feet have rashes then too.
4. Erythema multiform and oral hypersensitivity reactions: This is an immunological reaction which can happen to many things and medications.
I am not sure what your doctor saw if he is giving you antibiotics (which is for bacteria, not viruses) but perhaps he/she is thinking that it is a strep infection (for which an antibiotic will treat). But if he/she has suspicion for a viral cause, then an antiviral medicine is recommended.
If you are not able to swallow, you will need to go in to the emergency department (A and E) as you will get dehydrated without IV fluids.
In the US, when people have mouth or throat pain, sometimes we prescribe something we call "magic mouthwash" which contains viscous lidocaine, liquid diphenhydramine, and liquid antacid (Mylanta). But the throat spray you are using may be similar.
Hope this helps you.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sensation of hair in mouth and throat recommendations
- Mouth ulcers with sore throat and fever
- What causes dry throat and mouth with choking sensation
- Sore throat mouth ulcers and tb
- Burning mouth tongue and throat
- Dry mouth burning throat
- Sour throat and mouth burning
- Duromine sore throat and ulcers in mouth
- Mouth ulcers and earache and sore throat
- Mouth ulcers and sore throat
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis