What are the medical properties of Oxycodone?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Pain Management
Question: what is oxycodone cloride suppose to do? my e - mail address is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not quite sure of the question

Detailed Answer:
Oxycodone is a narcotic. The chloride is the regular drug which is relatively immediate and short acting. It is a drug used for pain. As a narcotic there is the potential for abuse due to its feeling pleasant by many people. Taking a moderate to a high dose for a long time will have one get used to its effects and more will be needed to achieve the same result (whether for pain or for getting high). With a moderate to a large dose taken for weeks, one gets not only used to it but dependent on it. and then when not taking it, the person gets severely unpleasant feelings. You won't get that from normal use.

However, about 1 in 20 people, it doesn't do anything for pain/getting high. It doesn't work on everyone. Taking more and more of it won't work and could be dangerous. If taking 2 didn't work, then more won't either. In theory perhaps a different narcotic. In practice, if oxycodone didn't work, then the others won't work either. In this group of people, addiction just isn't going to happen. Often the feeling slightly nauseated from it will still be there even at low doses but no good results occur. The fatal dose or the dose that knocks you out will still work in this group of people but that shouldn't be done, obviously. This group just has to use a different drug than a narcotic.