What are the causes of pain below sternum while on Bactrim?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I am having bad pain on top of stomach below breastbone radiating to my back. The top of my stomach area has been swollen for awhile. Right new taking generic Bactrim for uti. ...should I go to the emergency? My insurance ran out last month. I am 57 female.
6 days ago in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Yes, I think that some tests should be done to rule out pancreatitis, or aortic dissection. These are most serious conditions which may have similar symptoms. If course, there are much more common and less serious issues such as gastritis, gallbladder attack or pleurodinia but if pain isn't improving on painkillers and rest, you should check pancreas markers and do lung x-rays. Wish you good health. Regards