Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Variable blood pressure. Do I need to consult a doctor? Burning sensation around my chest.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
Hi I am aged 38. Have a bp of 118/78 in the morning while checking on bed. This had gone up to 130/94 after a few hours this morning. Not much of physical activity this morning. Again I came back and laid down on the bed for 15 minutes the bp is back to 121/80. The pulse is in the normal range of 70 and 80. Do I need to consult a doctor. I also have a burning sensation aroundmy right chest once in a while.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Radhika 45 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

You mentioned that your blood pressure this morning was 118/78 at rest and 130/94 after some (mild) activity. Your pulse is in the normal range of 70 to 80.

Blood pressure does vary physiologically with rest and posture. Moreover average blood pressure which is said to be normal is around 120 (systolic pressure) over 80 (diastolic pressure) and as you become older the systolic gets higher. So at the age of 38, I consider your readings as normal physiological variation.

Blood pressure higher than 140/90 at rest is significant and entails evaluation. So do not worry.

High fat diets, sedentary lifestyle, obesity, high stress levels apart from other medical illness raise our blood pressure prematurely. I like the fact that you are monitoring your blood pressures frequently. I would also suggest you to modify lifestyle - lower fatty food, salt, stress and exercise regularly (if you haven’t started yet) to keep hypertension and other lifestyle diseases at bay. There is no need for medication right now.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor