Using minoz 100. Having severe itching. Side effect?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have been using minoz 100 twice daily . from last two days i have been having itching and its increasing . what should i do for this severe itching and should i continue taking it .
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
Minocycline per se does not cause itching as an side effect.
You can continue taking minocycline.
Itching can be due to other causes like xerosis, ichthyosis, infection or eczematisation.
Also I would like to know-
which part of the body has itching?
are you on any other drugs like isotretinoin?
Itching is more in day or night?
are there any visible skin changes?
can you upload photos of the affected area?

Answer the questions and upload the photos and we can continue the discussion here.
till the time you can take tab.Zyrtec twice daily for itching.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
regards.
drSudarshan.
MD Skin
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
itching is at elbows, arms, neck, legs , fingers . now i am better, i took one larfost. and i just take migrane medicine -cetadin. itching was after i went out in sunlight . and the skin's visibly fine. which medicine should i take cos there is still itching and should i continue really to take minoz ? m afraid to do so
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 18 hours later
Hi again,
Minocycline can cause photosensitivity as a side effect.it may cause itching after sun exposure.
Avoid sun exposure. use a good sunscreen lotion and protective clothing while outside.
You can continue taking minocycline.
Take tablet lorfast twice daily.
Apply cooling soothing lotion like aloe Vera lotion over itchy areas twice a day.It is available over the counter.Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up .
Regards.